Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Watermelon Wednesday

Happy Wednesday, folks! It's hot, hot, HOT here and it's going to get hot, hot, hotter in the next few days (hello 1st official heat wave of the summer!). In an effort to keep myself thoroughly hydrated in this heat, and also because I truly live for the stuff, I've been eating watermelon like nobody's business this summer. I just can't get enough; I've been going through a half a full-size watermelon every 3 days or so. Holy cow!!! And, while I'm a purist and mostly take my melon cubed and fresh, these watermelon recipes have been catching my eye lately and I think it's high time I threw a little soiree in honor of my favorite fruit.

Some of the recipes topping my list to try:

To get the party started - these watermelon-lime jello shooters are just too funny.


(photo & recipe from Sweet Tooth)

Or, maybe a fancy cocktail is more your style? I'm loving the mix of veggies and melon and spirits in the Lolita or this yummy watermelon margarita!



(photos & recipes from Post Prohibition and Crepes of Wrath)


Who wouldn't love a simple but delicious watermelon, feta and arugula salad? The sweet/salty combination just can't be beat.
(photo & recipe by Simply Delicious)

Or there's a refreshing watermelon, cucumber and mint chilled soup - the perfect 1st course for a summer party, don't you think?

(photo & recipe from Verses From My Kitchen)

Another mouth-watering appetizer recipe I can't wait to try is watermelon salsa! I love anything that I can dip a tortilla chip into so this is right up my alley :)

(photo & recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything)


Looking for something sweet? Simple watermelon sorbet. 'Nuff said.

(photo & recipe from Baltic Maid)

This is just too beautiful to pass up: two melon mousse. Can you imagine serving that to cap off a summer gala? I'd be impressed if I was your guest, that's for sure!

(photo & recipe by Raspberri Cupcakes)

Or even a watermelon cupcake, perhaps?!

(photo & recipe by Cupcake Project)

And then, there is pickled watermelon rinds. These make me think of my Nana, who I miss everyday. She introduced me to this odd delicacy as she used to make pickled watermelon rind wrapped in bacon for an appetizer every Thanksgiving. I'll tell you what - that is a SERIOUSLY good appetizer. Indulgent? Just a little :) But, everyone should indulge in life's good things with their Nana once in a while, right? I think so.

(photo & recipe by The Cilantropist)

No comments:

Post a Comment