Sunday, November 8, 2009

Coffee Hound


Coffee is one of my guilty pleasures. I love a good cup of coffee in the morning and I look forward to my special Friday afternoon latte all week. I like reading my email and easing into the day. I'm a regular at the local coffee shop, Breaking New Grounds. In the summer it's a large coconut iced coffee with extra ice and room for milk and in the winter it's a french vanilla with room for cream.

I do, however, have serious beef with the huge amounts of waste we coffee drinkers produce by throwing away our cardboard, Styrofoam and plastic disposable coffee cups. It's pretty horrific. A few staggering stats (found via Sustainability is Sexy):

- The average large university throws goes through 5,000+ disposable coffee cups a day
- In 2006, disposable coffee cups created 253 million pounds of solid waste
- In a year, the amount of energy used to produce disposable coffee cups used by Starbucks could is equivalent to the amount of energy needed to power 7.7 thousand homes

So, I can't tell you how pumped I was to start selling these totally rad not-a-plastic-cup ceramic coffee mugs! Aren't they amazing?


For $12 you can proudly sip your brew from a fab double-walled ceramic coffee cup with a silicone lid (all dishwasher safe) and save the planet. $12 to save the planet?! I'm thinking these are going to make pretty wonderful holiday gifts for some people.


No comments:

Post a Comment